Prevent Stretch Marks in Pregnancy


Can you prevent stretch marks in pregnancy?


Stretch marks are, I am sure, something that every pregnant woman would rather avoid. You've all seen them, either live or on Google, and if you are currently trying to get pregnant or already expecting, you may well have wondered how you can prevent them. These ugly marks appear when the elastic supporting tissue right underneath your skin is put under too much stress, expanding too rapidly to adjust. At the beginning, they may be bright purple, brown or pink – and though they fade into silvery lines later on, wouldn't it be fantastic if you can skip them altogether?

Soon after we got our positive pregnancy test, my husband and I headed to a fancy department store and bought a huge tub of far too expensive Estee Lauder cream to help prevent stretch marks. I put a lot of thought into the inside of my body – eating well and exercising regularly – and I also liked the thought of keeping my skin the way it was. The cream I bought smelled divinely and moisturized my skin beautifully. There was no sign of stretch marks during the nine months of my daughter's pregnancy, and I was pleased I had been smart enough to invest in a really good cream.

Then, when I proudly squeezed back into my favorite pre-pregnancy pants a day after my precious baby was born, I noticed them: three huge pink lines extending from my pelvis right to my belly button! All that moisturizing had been in vain. Taking care of your skin is not a bad idea, but the truth is that we can't prevent stretch marks by putting creams on our bellies (or breasts, buttocks, and thighs, because those devils can also appear in those areas).

There are a number of factors that do contribute to getting stretch marks, and they include:

Genetics! If any of your close female relatives got stretch marks, you are also more likely to. 


• Making sure the skin doesn't stretch and expand suddenly may be one way of avoiding stretch marks, but that is hardly possible when you are suffering from pregnancy signs and symptoms. You are more prone to stretch marks if you are carrying twins, have a big baby, or have a lot of amniotic fluid. 


Young moms have higher odds than older women to get stretch marks during pregnancy. 



Gaining no more than the recommended amount of weight in pregnancy (something that varies in accordance with your pre-pregnancy weight) may give you a chance of avoiding stretch marks. If you do get them, tretinoin (Retin-A) and glycolic acid may help them fade more quickly. There is also some evidence that laser treatments can reduce existing stretch marks, so talk to a dermatologist if you are interested in this procedure.

The "baby" that caused my stretch marks is now five years old. I didn't get any additional stretch marks during my second pregnancy, and the few that I did get have faded a lot now. They are the only physical reminder of having been pregnant besides breasts that shrunk two cup sizes, and they are not the end of the world. I am sure that you'll feel the same, if you get some too.


Readers Also Read:
healthcare, Pregnancy Tips, Stretch marks

0 comments:

Post a Comment